Crumbling for you

Gluten Free Black Raspberry-Boysenberry Crumble Crumble or crisp might be my favorite dessert. It is definitely my 'thing...

Gluten Free Black Raspberry-Boysenberry Crumble


Crumble or crisp might be my favorite dessert. It is definitely my 'thing' when it comes to baking. In fact, when I was in high-school it was incredibly rare for me to show up at a party without a pie of some kind -- usually an apple-crumble pie (with whiskey in the filling). I am fairly confident I could throw a good crumble together blind-folded.

This recipe evolved slowly out of my pie-mad days. My 'pieous' days, if you will. I make nice pies but I've never been in love with pie the way I am with crumble. This seems to apply to most of my food leanings -- I usually prefer fillings and sauces to what they saturate. I can easily get by without pastas, crusts, and breads -- but life without tomato sauce, gravy, cream sauce, curries, spreads, dips and fillings? Not sure I could handle that.

I love this particular crumble because it takes no time to prepare and bakes in a flash -- usually while I am wolfing down the rest of my meal -- ready piping-hot for the finale. It is a crowdpleaser above most desserts I serve. Two large crumbles will usually be devoured while I'm left with copious amounts of chocolate cake to finish after a party. I think the best part about it is its unexpected qualities like the black pepper and the olive oil. I've received many comments over the years like, 'amazing' and 'so intense and complex'.

I highly encourage you to give this recipe a whirl, it never lets me down.


Recipe


1 package Stalbush frozen black raspberries
1 package Stalbush frozen boysenberries or 1 package Stalbush frozen Marion Blackberries
1/4 lemon, juice and some zest of
1 tbsp organic vanilla extract
dash of cinammon
1 tbsp cold organic butter, cut into very tiny pieces
1.5 tbsp. organic maple syrup
1 dash sea salt


Crumble topping


2/3 cup gluten free oats
1/3 cup oat flour
1 tsp sea salt
1 dash cracked black pepper
1.5 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. organic vanilla extract
1/4 cup organic dark brown sugar (demerara)
1.5 tbsp. organic maple syrup 1 tbsp cold organic butter, cut into little pieces


Extras

Cinnamon

1 tbsp organic butter, cut into tiny pieces
1/2 tsp organic vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350F. Place the frozen berries in a lasagne baking dish. Squeeze the lemon over the berries. Top the berries evenly to coat with all the other ingredients in part 1 of the recipe.

In a medium mixing bowl, lightly mix together all the crumble topping ingredients. Do not over-mix. What you are aiming for here is a crumbly consistency and not an overly wet consistency. If it looks too wet, add some extra flour and oats. I recommend combining these ingredients lightly with a fork.

Cover the berries evenly with this mixture. Top the crumble top with the extras -- a few extra dashes of cinnamon and a touch of vanilla extract and the tiny pieces of extra butter.

Bake until the berries are bubbling black and blue at the sides of the dish. Serve hot  in tiny bowls with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Advertisement

SEND US AN EMAIL:

Contact Baking Backwards

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR POSTS ON BAKING BACKWARDS

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM

© Danielle Dewar. Powered by Blogger.