Vegan Power Milkshake for Vegan MOFO

So, for those of you out of the loop, Baking Backwards is taking part in the 2014 edition of Vegan MOFO. I will be sharing vegan recipes...



So, for those of you out of the loop, Baking Backwards is taking part in the 2014 edition of Vegan MOFO. I will be sharing vegan recipes all month....a lot! The goal is to post something almost daily. To keep myself motivated I have created a challenge for my posts -- I will share as many vegan wrap and vegan frozen dessert recipes as I can throughout September. They will all be delicious and healthy, not to mention gluten-free! To kick things off on a frosty foot may I present one of my staple recipes, my Vegan Power Milkshake!

Creamy, protein-rich, raw and green! This drink is so so good for you, especially if you workout and are looking for something to enjoy after your workout that won't make you bloated and will help your muscles recover. It's also cool and creamy, like a milkshake (the main reason its a staple in my life).

I really want to highlight the fact that this vegan shake, or smoothie, is fruit-free. Lots of people have a hard time processing fructose. Fruit leaves them feeling bloated and miserable. I imagine that smoothies seem off limits to people with a fructose intolerance. I created this smoothie initially because I firmly believe that protein does not combine well with fruit. Lots of people ignore this basic food combining principle (yogurt and berries, fruit protein shakes etc.) and may not have associated their intestinal discomfort with these poor choices for food combining. I can't tell you how much better I feel when I follow the basic rules of food combining. No bloating, no gas, no cramps. The issue is that fruit breaks down faster than protein and different digestive juices are required to break each food down. When you combine them in your stomach you end up with rapidly fermenting fruit. It is quickly digested then over digested by the additional juices generated to handle the protein. This causes fermentation of the fruit in your belly leaving you to reel from the process. In short, this should be avoided! Fruit can be combined with greens but should really stay clear of proteins.

I also use a raw sprouted brown rice protein in this drink. The sprouting process makes the protein easier on the tummy. If you give this one a go, I hope you enjoy it!




Vegan Power Shake
(RAW, gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free)
  • 3-4 cups baby spinach
  • 2 cups pure water
  • dash of turmeric
  • liquid stevia to taste (/i used a water based stevia liquid)
  • 1.5 scoops raw sprouted brown rice protein powder
  • ½ cup ice cubes
  • 3 VARIATIONS, optional add ins:
    • vanilla bean powder or extract (½ tsp)
    • 1 tsp coconut nectar OR agave OR maple syrup OR raw honey
    • 1 tsp raw cacao powder
Blend all ingredients except the ice cubes together on the highest setting in a high speed blender until totally smooth and frothy. Add the ice and blend until totally smooth. Serve.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Advertisement

SEND US AN EMAIL:

Contact Baking Backwards

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR POSTS ON BAKING BACKWARDS

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM

© Danielle Dewar. Powered by Blogger.