Vegan taco salad my way

I LOVE Mexican food. I LOVE tex-mex food. I love easy to make food. I love this salad. I often crave decadent and hearty food. Fries, cr...

I LOVE Mexican food. I LOVE tex-mex food. I love easy to make food. I love this salad.

I often crave decadent and hearty food. Fries, creamy pastas, tacos, nachos. That's why I put so much energy into trying to make my favourite meals healthy. If I ate the real deal all the time I'd make myself sick! No thanks. But a delightful high protein, good fat, gluten-free substantial salad like this I'll enjoy any day of the week. This week it was several days of the week, ha.

This salad has a lot of flavour and a lot of texture. I transformed canned brown lentils into spicy fat-free 'refried beans'. They hang out on top of crunchy kale in a creamy avocado dressing. I top it all off with some fiery salsa, more avocado and some soy-free vegenaise instead of sour cream. Oh my lanta. 

This salad is seriously comforting, surprisingly healthy and ridiculously easy to make. Its also vegan, grain-free, gluten-free, soy-free, high in protein, and most of all suitable for countless special diets. If you like bar style tex mex or Mexican food, you will enjoy this salad. Go make it already!

VEGAN TACO SALAD

LENTILS
  • 1 can organic brown lentils, rinsed and drained
  • 1-2 tsp cumin
  • 1-2 tsp garlic powder
  • hot sauce
  • cayenne or chili powder
  • 1/2 cup sliced cherry or grape tomatoes
  • 1/4 red onion, chopped small
  • pinch sea salt or pink salt, optional
  • OPTIONAL: 1 tsp evoo or coconut oil 
 
If using oil, add to  pan over medium high heat and melt. Add onions and saute until soft. Add tomatoes and saute until soft. Add the spices and stir to coat. Add the lentils and saute for a minute, reduce heat to medium low, stirring ocassionally until the mixture is mushy and soft and flavourful. If not using oil simply add all ingredients to a pan over medium high heat and cook until soft and mushy. Adjust seasonings to your taste. 


KALE SALAD
  • 2 leaves green or purple kale, chopped into bite sized pieces
  • 1/3 english cucumber, chopped skin on
  • 1 zuchini chopped or grated
AVOCADO DRESSING
  • 1/2-1 small avocado, mashed until smooth
  • 2-3 tbsps water
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • pinch pink salt
  • squeeze of lime juice
  • chili powder
  • hot sauce
  • pinch cinnamon
  • a little mayo or vegenaise (optional, improves flavour and texture)

Mash all ingredients together until smooth with a fork.  Adjust seasonings to your taste. Set aside

EXTRAS
  • 2-4 tbsp salsa
  • lime wedge
  • 1-2 tsp vegenaise
  • extra avocado

ASSEMBLY
Prepare lentils as described above. Meanwhile prepare salad and dressing. Dress the salad with the dressing and toss to coat. Top with the warm lentils. Add a few spoonfuls of salsa on top, then extra avocado slices, then vegenaise. Squeeze lime over everything. Enjoy!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Advertisement

SEND US AN EMAIL:

Contact Baking Backwards

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR POSTS ON BAKING BACKWARDS

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM

© Danielle Dewar. Powered by Blogger.