Tropical Smoothie Bowl and why you should eat smoothies in a bowl too!

I used to always start my day with a big green smoothie but I've realized that they may not be the most conscious way to begin a new d...

I used to always start my day with a big green smoothie but I've realized that they may not be the most conscious way to begin a new day of food. If you're like me and are prone to chugging anything liquid, you are likely not getting the most out of your smoothie routine. Drinking a smoothie too fast can result in your body only partially digesting the meal. This can lead to bloating, gas, and more unpleasant side effects of consuming food too quickly. My husband always suggests chewing your smoothie, allowing saliva to mix with the drink to help get your digestive juices flowing and help you break that drink down into usable fuel. I have tried  to do this many times but I invariably go back to my default chug setting. Enter my new best friend, the smoothie bowl. 

Smoothie bowls are great for many reasons. If you like smoothies but tend to drink too fast they may be your new best friend too. By creating a thicker smoothie that you eat with a spoon, you will slowly eat the smoothie instead of chugging it. This allows for more saliva to mix with your food as you eat it -- which unleashes valuable digestive enzymes which will help to begin to break down your food for digestion. By eating the smoothie you are also allowing yourself more time overall to consume the food. Eating slowly is always a good idea. It allows you to tune into your body's hunger signals, helping to stop you from overeating or binge eating.

Digestive issues aside, there's a lot to love about smoothie bowls. For one thing they are gorgeous! You can dress them up with fruit slices, sauces, jam, whatever you like! They can also offer a beautiful medley of flavours and textures -- I like to top mine with soft and crunchy fruits, and colourful accents to make them more appealing.


 Today's smoothie bowl kind of tastes like a dressed up Flintstone's Push Pop. Do you remember those? I used to love them because they were creamy, tart and sweet! For the base of my bowl I combine fresh ataulfo mangoes with frozen raspberries, frozen bananas and fresh lime juice. The result is creamy, cold, pink, tangy sweet heaven. I then pop it in the freezer for a bit to firm up while I slice and dice some more mango, half a red bartlett pear (for crunch) and a few lime wedges. Put it all together and you get one magical smoothie bowl.



TROPICAL SMOOTHIE BOWL

Base:
  • 2 ataulfo mangoes, flesh of
  • Juice of 1/2 a small lime
  • 1 cup frozen raspberries
  • 1-2 frozen bananas (I used 1 1/2)
Add all base ingredients to a food processor and blend until totally smoothie. Transfer to a serving bowl and place in freezer while you prepare toppings.

Toppings:
  • 1 ataulfo mango, chopped flesh
  • 1/2 lime, sliced
  • 1 pear, diced
  • kiwi, sliced (optional)
Slice all toppings. Remove smoothie bowl from freezer and top with toppings. Enjoy!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Advertisement

SEND US AN EMAIL:

Contact Baking Backwards

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR POSTS ON BAKING BACKWARDS

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM

© Danielle Dewar. Powered by Blogger.