Everything Cookies (vegan, gluten free)

If you're not a chocolate chip cookie purist, you should try these cookies. My Everything Cookies are addictive, indulgent, sweet an...


If you're not a chocolate chip cookie purist, you should try these cookies. My Everything Cookies are addictive, indulgent, sweet and salty, soft chewy, crunchy, and anything but boring. Loaded with chocolate chunks, chocolate chips, coconut, potato chips (yes!), and corn flakes, these cookies are full of surprises. They're also vegan and gluten free - true story. 




I made these cookies on a whim last weekend. I tend to bake chocolate chip cookies when I feel like a sweet treat without a lot of fuss. Its hard to screw up a chocolate chip cookie. Its hard to make an outstanding chocolate chip cookie too. These cookies take chocolate chip cookies to a whole new level. Full of texture and flavour contrast, these cookies are insanely addictive. The dough made quite a few little cookies and my husband and I polished them of in two days! I think that says it all...
  
It all started with a bag of coconut oil kettle cooked potato chips. These chips you guys, oh dear. To say I have an addiction is an understatement. They were on sale at my local healthfood store and since my husband loves chips I bought two big bags. They disappeared too fast. So I bought another bag, then another...I'm starting rehab this week, promise. I love the taste and texture of these chips. They're super sturdy with a great crunch -- one I hoped would hold up to baking. It certainly did. 



I'd been wanting to try potato chip cookies for awhile. They seemed to brilliant -- sweet, salty, crunchy, soft. So I saved some of the precious chips and threw them in to my dough. The result was so so good. For even more crunch I added some of my latest addiction, oil free corn flake cereal from Whole Foods. Then threw in some shredded coconut, mini vegan chocolate chips, and some roughly chopped sea salt vegan dark chocolate from Alter Eco. You have my respect and awe if you can stop yourself from eating all the dough and make some actual cookies with it. I would estimate I ate about 1/3 of the dough before the rest made its way to the oven...but that's true for almost everything I bake.



These cookies are vegan so I replaced butter with coconut oil. They're also gluten free -- instead of white flour I used: brown rice flour, white rice flour, and arrowroot starch (for soft and chewy middles). I used natural sweeteners (coconut sugar and maple syrup) instead of brown sugar. I took a cue from many chocolate chip cookie recipes and creamed the "butter" and "sugar" before adding the flour. I think it made them even better. I also froze the dough for about 30 minutes before I baked them which is said to enhance the flavour and texture of chocolate chip cookies and help control the "spread" of the dough while baking. All in all the recipe came out great and I hope you like it.




EVERYTHING COOKIES

PART 1
  • 2/3 cup coconut sugar
  • 2/3 cup coconut oil (solid)
Cream coconut sugar and coconut oil together until smooth in a food processor OR in a bowl with a handmixer. To that add:

PART 2
  • 1 + 1/2 cups white rice flour
  • 2/3 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 tsp maple syrup
Mix PART 2 ingredients in with coconut oil and sugar mixture that is in food processor until well mixed but crumbly. Blend in 1/4 cup of water (or more if necessary) to make a smooth but not too wet dough. Add your ADD INS of choice (listed below) and pulse to evenly distribute throughout the dough.

ADD INS:
  • 1/4 chopped dark chocolate
  • 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 2/3 cup slightly crushed vegan and gluten free kettle cooked potato chips (sea salt flavour)
  • 1/4 cup coconut shreds
  • 2/3 cornflakes cereal
Spoon balls of finished dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Freeze for 30 minutes or refrigerate overnight before baking. Bake 10-12 minute in an oven preheated to 350F.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Advertisement

SEND US AN EMAIL:

Contact Baking Backwards

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR POSTS ON BAKING BACKWARDS

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM

© Danielle Dewar. Powered by Blogger.